10 Guidelines for the new Web-Designer
1. Targeting Design your site to meet specific user needs and goals. Think what will motivate different people to look at different parts of your site. Remember to target your design at the majority of users who currently set their screens to 800x600 pixel resolution.
2. Who is your user? What are their likely tasks? Why have they come to your site? For a site to be usable, page flow must match the expected workflow of your users. Do use good headlines when designing newspaper, newsletter and other information-based sites because studies show that users tend to look first at text, not images (surprisingly a margin of nearly two to one favouring text).
3. Architecture & Layout -how easy is your site to use? Build an ideally simple navigational structure. Remember - if they can't find it in 3 clicks, they're probably gone........... Think too about the following:
4. How easy? Make your controls/menus understandable. Avoid confusion between logos, banners, and buttons. Your Web sites will appear more credible if:you make it easy to distinguish ads from content,
5. Duplicate Why reinvent the wheel? Why waste your time? Use templates for the most common if not all your pages.
6. Test, Test and Test. Test early in design and as you go along. Check your links.. Don't wait until the end when it's too late.
8. Know likely user tolerances Most users are impatient... also remember who's phone bill is clocking up if your site is slow.. Design, where possible, for a 2-10 second maximum download. Reuse header graphics so they can load from cache. Avoid excessive scrolling. Remember customer support as well - can they contcat you for help? Can you easily get feedback?
9. Graphics Animation Some good animation can attract attention to specific information. Too much movement can become distinctly irritating and even distract from other key infomation..
10. Check your statistics.... Monitor traffic through your site. Which pages are regularly visited? Which doesn't anyone bother with? Which pages make users leave? Adjust..........and try again.
Please note that the views expressed by other sites that we link to are not necessarily the same as our own. Whilst we try to check links it is impossible for us to check every page on every site, and, even if we did they could easily change. If you therefore find that we have a link to a page that you do not think is suitable in any way please let us know so that we can take any necessary action. Thank you.